SUPER SMITHS 7

Thursday, August 6, 2009

T.V. Troubles

T.V. addicts no more! The kids have been T.V. addicts this summer. Waking up at 6 am wanting to watch T.V. I was going crazy! They would want to watch t.v. constantly and then fight about what show to watch. So, at book club we were talking about how to get kids to be good and we talked about how we need to talk with them and discuss options for different situations instead of bossing them around. The next day I talked with the kids about how watching t.v. all day would not be healthy. They agreed! We came up with the idea for the three kids who watch t.v. to get one hour a day of t.v. and when it is their turn they get to decide what show to watch. It has been a wonderful week! They track their own t.v. time -- they did this on their own and I just ask for updates. No fighting on how much t.v. to watch or what show and they are being accountable for their time. Love it! Thanks book club buddies! Here are my former T.V. addicts using their imaginations:


Noah makes up a game of bowling.
London plays with a car.

Brooklyn has a great time playing with playdough.

Autumn makes a playdough creation.


Ryan rarely watches T.V. so he just kept on keeping on. I am so proud of my little ones for using their imaginations and not being so dependent on t.v. for entertainment! I only wish we would have figured this system out sooner!


5 comments:

Koch Clan said...

Great idea! Although their tv time increased here. Sorry. They really didn't watch that much. Mostly played.

Emily said...

Good for you! TV can be such a time sucker... I love Autumn's playdough cake.

Monica said...

YOU DID GREAT!! Your blog is awesome and I love your family picture!

Paige said...

I'm so glad you invited me to see your blog! Ididn't even know you had one!
Also so glad the book group is going strong! Can't wait to get back to it and all of you!
See you at the end of the month!
Paige

Lindsay said...

I love the idea! I am now putting up the video games too! We have to get in the mode for school! Good thinking kids on the fun and creative ideas!

London & Missionaries

Jump, Mommy (missionary), Jump