SUPER SMITHS 7

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Supernanny ROCKS!!!!!!!

It's a miracle!!!! London has been sleeping in her bed since Monday (every night, all night)! Supernanny is awesome!!!!!! She gets most the credit.

On Monday I watched at least 3 episodes of Supernanny and finally decided that supernanny or her book had to come visit our house. Eric even watched one episode with us. So, after seeing the show I drove to the bookstore in Valpo and they didn't have it, so I drove to Merrillville and they had it in stock. I was on fire!!! and needed this book NOW!!!

We just followed her programs and now we have a baby-free house by between 8 and 8:30 pm every evening. It is actually amazing to have some actual Mommy and Daddy time without London and to have a London-less couch. Don't get me wrong but London has not slept in her crib for months and maybe even over a year if I really think about it. This is how supernanny and us got London to sleep in her bed (mattress). Basically, we do a bedtime routine with her (sometimes bath, pj's, teeth brushing, book, prayers with family) and then we get her pacifier (I'm not ready to give that up yet!) and go into her room with lights off, lay her down and sit on a stepstool beside her bed. When she gets up we lay her back down and cover her up with the blanket and say "Sleep". We stay in the room, on the stool until she falls asleep. The plan is to gradually move your stool closer to the door and eventually you do the routine from outside the room or I guess just lay them down and leave. The first night it took 30 minutes, actually better than I thought, for her to settle down and fall asleep. She got up a zillion times but I just kept laying her down and saying "Sleep".

The first night she got up about 5 times and would try and get in our bed. The key is to put her back in her bed! Not too hard, except it's 1 am and I am sleeping. When she would try to get in our bed I would get her and say, "It's time for bed. Go to sleep. I offered her a drink of water and then lay her down on her mattress and go up to my bed. The first night she came up almost right after I laid back down and then she got smarter and would wait 5-10 minutes until I was almost asleep and come walking in to sneak into our bed. When the child keeps getting up you talk less. So, after 2 times when London would try to get in our bed I would just pick her up and carry her down to her bed and then walk up to my bed. I had to do it alot but it worked!!!

Anyways, Friday and Saturday night this baby went to bed between 8:00 and 8:30 and slept ALL night in her bed and did not wake us up once! Good job London! We are so proud of you!!!!It was totally worth the drive to Merrillville and $17.00 book. Let me know if you want to borrow this book it has been a lifesaver! How did I survive without her?


This is a picture Tuesday morning of London sleeping on her mattress. I guess maybe we will need to buy her bed now that she will actually sleep in one!

8 comments:

Nikki said...

YAY for London, but a bigger YAY for Laura!! Piper is coming into our bed every night all summer. We take her back once we wake up and we realize she is there but every night is the same thing! I was getting ready to try duct tape, but maybe Supper Nanny is a better way to go!

YAY for you Laura!!!

Koch Clan said...

I still can't beleve that worked so well. You know I need to try it! We are starting with Jude so hopefully it will work soon. Way to go London!

lynn mayden said...

Yeah for you and your husband! I love bedtimes after a hard day.

Unknown said...

That's how we got Jeremy in his own bed when he was little. Congrats!!

Emily said...

Good for you Laura! What are you going to do with all of your new found time?

Monica said...

Oh, I remember those days!!
I am so glad London is sleeping for you. I agree that Supernanny rocks!! We've used some of her ideas at our house. :)

The Gibbs said...

Sounds like fun to actually have time together with Eric. No kids time is awesome.

bridge said...

YAY!!!! You're so awesome!

London & Missionaries

Jump, Mommy (missionary), Jump